Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small stocks generally hung on the lower rungs of the broader market Thursday, but several tech names -- among them Vasco Data Security International (VDSI) -- helped keep things afloat.
The Illinois-based security-software company soared 27% to $22.42 after beating first-quarter estimates by 2 cents a share with profits -- 13 cents a share, or $5 million -- that rose 324% year over year. Sales gained 93% on last year to $26.4 million and bested Street targets, according to Thomson Financial.
Innodata Isogen (INOD), another tech stock, said it has procured new projects that should bring in revenue of roughly $10 million in 2007. Shares of the Hackensack, N.J., information-technology firm surged 26% to $3.65. Flat-panel-display maker Innovative Solutions & Support (ISSC), of Pennsylvania, gained 17% to $28.54 after saying its order backlog had vaulted 51% to $42.7 million from last year, despite widening fiscal second-quarter losses that were far short of Street targets.
Meanwhile, Georgia's Pediatric Services of America (PSAI), a home health-care company for infants and children, bounced 15.6% on word Portfolio Logic -- which already has a 14.9% stake in the company -- will take it private for $16.25 a share in cash. Shares added $2.14 to $15.84.Genesis Energy (GEL), based in Houston, shot up 20% to $26.64 on word it will buy "the assets of five energy-related businesses" from the Davison family of Ruston, La., for some $560 million in cash and stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV