Beat the Street: Meet Scott Chamberlain
Scott Chamberlain got a late start playing TheStreet.com's "Beat the Street" trading game, but he's already worked his way close to the front of the pack. Having built up $516,267 from the $100,000 in seed equity, he was ranked ninth among our more than 24,600 players at Wednesday's close.
If you'd like to participate in a player profile, click here to send an email.
1) What stocks have you traded most effectively and how?
I trade high-momentum stocks that are showing signs of technical buying exhaustion. Typically, there are only one to two stocks that meet this screen each day. Examples over the last few weeks are Dendreon (DNDN), Cell Genesys (CEGE), Dyax (DYAX) and InsWeb (INSW). In each case, I enter a short and wait for the inevitable drop.
2) What's your style of investing? Are you daytrading, or making longer-term picks?While my investing style is low-risk/long-term, this strategy doesn't work in a competition like "Beat the Street." You have to look for stocks that are event-driven. Over many years of studying the markets, I have developed a set of technical indicators which, when weighted properly, roughly signal when buying has reached its exhaustion levels. I usually enter into these situations by selling short and covering the next day. Across the equity markets, only one to two stocks per day meet the screen criteria, so it takes very little time away from work or family. 3) Do you primarily trade on the long or short side? Any stocks that have been particularly good from both sides? Over 90% of the trades I have made are from the short side. Having said that, I believe the uranium stocks are where the hot money is going right now. Names like Uranerz (URZ), Energy Metals (EMU) and Uranium Resources (URRE) are in the early stages of a huge bull market and are up 50% or more in the last two months. These are all good long candidates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV