Wednesday's Financial Winners & Losers
Financial stocks largely crowned the climbing broader market on Wednesday, and one of the biggest winners was XL Capital (XL).
The Bermuda-based insurer jumped 6.7% to $78.70 after trouncing first-quarter estimates, reporting income of $543.4 million, or $3.03 a share (excluding items), vs. Wall Street's $2.13-per-share estimates, as per Thomson Financial. Another Bermudian insurer, Ace (ACE), rose 3.7% to $60.86 after handily topping bottom-line expectations.
The NYSE Financial Sector Index, of which XL is a component, was recently leaping 87.71 points, or 0.9%, to 9843.75. The KBW Bank Index climbed 0.7% to 116.61.
Dime Community Bancshares (DCOM), of Brooklyn, N.Y., gained 6% to $13.65 after edging out first-quarter targets with 17-cent-per-share earnings, and Ameriprise Financial (AMP) added 1.8% to $60.93 after the asset manager reported adjusted income of $220 million, or 90 cents a share. This is 20% higher than last year and beats estimates by 2 cents.Elsewhere in positive-earnings territory, New York Community Bancorp (NYB) added 0.5% to $17.75 after meeting first-quarter operating-earnings estimates; credit-rating agency Moody's (MCO) was up 0.9% to $68.57 on a 4-cent-per-share beat. Meanwhile, Dutch bank ABN Amro (ABN) -- which had lost value on the NYSE since Britain's Barclays (BCS) agreed to buy it on Monday -- more than recovered after receiving a rival bid of $52.96 a share from a group lead by the Royal Bank of Scotland. Shares were up $2.28, or 4.8%, to $49.68.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV