Take-Two's Bad Call
Video-game publisher Take-Two (TTWO) is wedged between a rock and a hard place.
Take-Two has long faced criticism for its inability to produce a string of hits and its excessive dependence on a single, best-selling game series, Grand Theft Auto. Not surprisingly, the company's new management indicated that it will strengthen its unprofitable sports division, 2K Sports.
This sounds like a reasonable plan: Sports games have a strong fan base, and Take-Two has been working on building up the division as part of its diversification plan.
But scratch deeper, and some analysts say that Take-Two may just be setting itself up for another big mistake. Sports games were about 20% of the company's publishing revenue and pulled in about $150 million in 2006, nearly double the previous year's take.Still, 2K Sports continues to lose money, and the road ahead seems rough. In an update to analysts and investors earlier this month, Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two's new chairman, warned that the company's sports division is unlikely to emerge from the red this calendar year as expected and that profitability may be pushed out to 2008. And even that is unclear. Instead, the company might be better off focusing on building its portfolio in other game genres, such as strategy and action.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV