Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Working on the Railroads
The rail market is one unbelievable bull market right now, Jim Cramer told viewers on his "Mad Money" TV show Tuesday.
But when investors are playing a cycle, be it the aerospace cycle or the rail cycle, they shouldn't just buy direct plays -- they should also buy companies that touch the booming cycle, he said.
All Aboard Koppers
The four big rails are "flush with cash," Cramer said, and they are going to be buying a lot of equipment. There are only two plays on this, he said, the first of which is Koppers (KOP).
Koppers is a stock Cramer first recommended a little over a year ago, and it is up about 46% since then. It is "an oblique play" on railroads, he said. It makes rail ties and rail splitters.The "trick" with Koppers is that it's really a chemical company, Cramer said. Rails account for just 37% of the company. However, when you get a cycle, "impure" plays such as Koppers are great "because The Street doesn't notice them until they report great numbers," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV