Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Working on the Railroads
The rail market is one unbelievable bull market right now, Jim Cramer told viewers on his "Mad Money" TV show Tuesday.
But when investors are playing a cycle, be it the aerospace cycle or the rail cycle, they shouldn't just buy direct plays -- they should also buy companies that touch the booming cycle, he said.
All Aboard Koppers
The four big rails are "flush with cash," Cramer said, and they are going to be buying a lot of equipment. There are only two plays on this, he said, the first of which is Koppers (KOP).
Koppers is a stock Cramer first recommended a little over a year ago, and it is up about 46% since then. It is "an oblique play" on railroads, he said. It makes rail ties and rail splitters.The "trick" with Koppers is that it's really a chemical company, Cramer said. Rails account for just 37% of the company. However, when you get a cycle, "impure" plays such as Koppers are great "because The Street doesn't notice them until they report great numbers," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV