Friday's Tech Winners & Losers
Updated from 12:46 p.m. EDT
Technology stocks moved higher Friday, but several names bucked the trend after offering disappointing earnings guidance.
RightNow Technologies (RNOW) shares slumped 17% after the software company posted better-than-expected first-quarter results, but warned that second-quarter revenue would be below Wall Street's forecast. The company reported an adjusted loss of $4.7 million, or 14 cents a share, on revenue of $25.7 million. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected a bigger loss of 19 cents a share on revenue of $24.7 million. During the year-earlier quarter, the company earned $343,000, or a penny a share, on revenue of $24.6 million.
Looking ahead, RightNow sees an adjusted second-quarter loss of 11 cents to 13 cents a share on revenue of $26.3 million to $26.8 million. Analysts project a loss of 12 cents a share on revenue of $27.9 million. Shares closed down $3.07 to $14.99.Elsewhere, Stamps.com (STMP) tumbled 16.1% after the online postage company posted mixed first-quarter results and issued full-year guidance that disappointed investors. The company posted adjusted earnings of $3.5 million, or 16 cents a share, on revenue of $20 million. Analysts expected a smaller profit of 14 cents a share on higher revenue of $21.6 million. During the year-earlier quarter, the company posted earnings of $3.4 million, or 14 cents a share, on revenue of $20.5 million. Looking ahead, Stamps.com sees 2007 adjusted earnings of 77 cents to 87 cents a share on revenue of $87 million to $97 million. Analysts project earnings of 86 cents a share on revenue of $95.5 million. Shares closed down $2.47 to $12.88.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV