Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small stocks underperformed the rest of the market on Thursday for the second straight session, and helping things along was Smith Micro Software's (SMSI) plunge. Jeffries cut the maker of wireless-communications software to hold from buy, sending shares down $3.02, or 15.3%, to $16.71.
Boots & Coots International Well Control (WEL), a Houston-based company that sells services to the oil and gas industry, offered 26 million shares at $2.10 apiece before underwriting discounts and commissions, half of which are being sold by the company itself. There's a 3.9-million-share underwriter's option in case of overallotment. Shares were losing 30 cents, or 12%, to $2.21.
Maryland's TVI (TVIN), which makes shelter systems and other products, plummeted 21.6% to $1.09 after saying Chief Executive Richard Priddy and Executive VP Charles Sample had both resigned from the company. Wireless-equipment maker KVH Industries (KVHI) slid 9.1% to $8.67 after breaking even in the first quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for a profit of 4 cents a share; a year ago, the Middletown, R.I., company made 8 cents a share.
On the upside, North Carolina's PokerTek (PTEK) surged 18.8% to $12 on word it will exclusively provide casino operator Harrah's Entertainment (HET) with "live, player-banked, automated poker tables," pursuant to a "multi-year" deal. Harrah's recently lost 6 cents to $85.41.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV