Monday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks hovered above the bullish broader market Monday, propelled in part by Rubicon (RBY), one of today's biggest percentage gainers overall. The Canadian gold miner rocketed 25.5% to $2.51 after discovering a new gold zone in its 60%-owned joint venture in Ontario.
Also surging was Minnesota-based Rural Cellular (RCCC), which Bear Stearns upped to outperform after Friday's release of positive preliminary first-quarter results. Shares advanced 21% to close at $23. Colorado's Red Robin Gourmet Burgers (RRGB) also rode high on a positive analyst call, gaining 6.6% to $41.97 on a Morgan Keegan upgrade to outperform. The analyst cited, among other things, the restaurant chain's plans to break into national TV advertising.
New deals lifted several small-cap stocks today, among them Quantum Fuel Systems Technologies Worldwide (QTWW). The Irvine, Calif., auto-component maker jumped nearly 23% to close at $1.51 after agreeing to a joint venture with "a major Chinese automaker" to develop hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles.
NutraCea (NTRZ) said its rice-stabilization technology will be used in one of Archer Daniels Midland's (ADM) facilities, boosting NutraCea shares by 9.7% to $3.95. ADM lately added 3 cents to $38.04. Health-care-info technology firm Streamline Health (STRM) closed up 7.5% at $4.59 after announcing a new client -- "one of the largest" nonprofit health-care systems in the Northeast.K-Swiss (KSWS) meanwhile rose on a Barron's report predicting that the apparel maker's growth strategy and debtless balance sheet could push shares up to at least $32. The California-based company closed up $1.08, or 3.9%, at $28.72. Sign-making systems developer Gerber Scientific (GRB), based in Connecticut, agreed to buy Data Technology for an undisclosed sum. Shares closed higher by 5% at $11.43.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV