Risks Keep a Lid on Sanmina
Looking at the stock's valuation, shares of Sanmina were recently trading just below 14 times 2007 consensus estimates, which we view as relatively inexpensive at first glance.
However, analyst consensus expectations are predicting a less-than-1% increase in revenue this year, and it's difficult to pin down exactly when Sanmina might see a consistent rate (at least 10%) of sales growth in the future vs. analysts' projections of just 0.8% growth in 2007 and 6.6% in 2008. In addition, the company has yet to show that it can stop the market-share losses in its core operations.
Another factor that leads us to believe that Sanmina is a poor candidate for the Stocks Under $10 model portfolio is the simple fact that the potential upside isn't large enough to warrant a purchase.
Sanmina is highly leveraged to overall tech spending, meaning that shares will benefit if a lot of companies boost their capital expenditures, which generally occurs when the economy becomes strong. But at the present, the U.S. economy is in the midst of a slowdown.So in this case, there are better opportunities than Sanmina -- especially looking around the rest of the under $10 arena -- that should provide nice gains in 2007. We prefer to focus on unique situations with a more company-specific thesis that could offer greater potential upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV