Monday's Winners & Losers: Sallie Mae
Updated from 11:49 a.m. EDT
Shares of Sallie Mae (SLM) were among the NYSE's winners Monday, jumping 18.4% after the student loan lender agreed to be acquired by an investor group led by J.C. Flowers & Co. for about $25 billion, or $60 a share.
The price represents a 28% premium to Sallie Mae's closing price of $46.76 on Friday. "We are pleased to invest in Sallie Mae and help provide increased liquidity, stability and financial strength," J.C. Flowers said. When the deal closes, J.C. Flowers and Friedman Fleischer & Lowe will invest about $4.4 billion and own 50.2% of the company. Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase, meanwhile, will each invest $2.2 billion and will each own 24.9% of the company. The acquisition is expected to close in late 2007. Shares of Sallie Mae closed up $8.59 to $55.35.
Fremont General (FMT) soared 26% after the mortgage lender agreed to sell about $2.9 billion of its subprime residential real estate loans to an unnamed buyer. The company has also entered into exclusive negotiations with the same buyer to sell most of its residential real estate business and assets.The $2.9 billion represents the bulk of Fremont's subprime residential loans held for sale that have not been sold yet. The sale is expected to result in a pretax loss of about $100 million. Shares were up $1.83 to $8.88.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV