Sallie Mae Gets Buyout
Sallie Mae (SLM) rocketed 20% after an investor group led by J.C. Flowers agreed to pay $60 a share, or $25 billion, in cash for the student lender.
J.C. Flowers along with private-equity firm Friedman Fleischer & Lowe will invest $4.4 billion and own 50.2%, and Bank of America (BAC) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) each will invest $2.2 billion and each will own 24.9%.
Sallie Mae's current management will stay on. The buyers' press release presents this development as "ensuring that it will continue to adhere to the New York Attorney General's Student Loan Code of Conduct, which Sallie Mae adopted April 11." Sallie settled a probe of allegedly deceptive practices with the state that day, agreeing to change some practices and pay $2 million into a national education fund.
Shares rose $9.16 to $55.92.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV