Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Small-cap stocks moved in lockstep with the rest of the market Friday, starting things off with a slide followed by a slight midday recovery on a fairly even mix of positive and negative news from various sectors.
Likewise for wireless provider Rural Cellular (RCCC), based in Minnesota, soared some 22% to $17.25 on preliminary results showing improvement in operating income, revenue and customer numbers. Medis Technologies (MDTL), a medical-equipment maker, said it began shipping its first batch of 24/7 fuel-cell Power Pack products to Microsoft today. Shares recently jumped $2.77, or 15.1%, to $21.06.
Another medical-device maker, ArthroCare (ARTC), gained 4% to $39.30 on a Lazard upgrade to buy from hold, and Nautilus (NLS) erased some of Thursday's losses (induced by downward guidance) after Matrix Research raised the fitness-equipment maker to hold from strong sell. Shares were up 4% to $14.21.On the other hand, several small-cap names were sliding on negative analyst research. American Technology Research slapped a sell rating on hard-disk maker Komag (KOMG), citing the fact that its biggest customer, Seagate Technology (STX), has recently deflated its sales guidance and will probably outsource less of its disk production. Komag shares fell 50 cents, or 1.6%, to $30.70. Seagate was recently off a penny to $21.73.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV