Friday's Winners & Losers: Lubrizol
Shares of Sallie Mae (SLM) were among the NYSE's biggest winners Friday, jumping 11% after a media report said the student loan lender is in talks to be acquired for more than $20 billion.
The New York Times reported that Sallie Mae is discussing a buyout with a group of private equity firms, including Blackstone Group. The negotiations appear to be at a late stage, but several hurdles remain, the paper reported. Shares of Sallie Mae recently were trading up $4.51 to $45.26.
Shares of Lubrizol (LZ) jumped 8% after the maker of engine oil previewed first-quarter earnings that were well above expectations. The company put its adjusted earnings at 98 cents a share. Analysts project earnings of 78 cents a share. A year earlier, the company posted adjusted earnings of 68 cents a share.
"The strong performance compared to the first quarter a year ago was primarily the result of higher revenues, driven by the improvement in the combination of price and product mix," Lubrizol said. "In addition, shipment volumes in the quarter were higher than expected, and reflected a return to normal order patterns." Shares were trading up $4.50 to $57.74.General Electric (GE) climbed 1% after the conglomerate posted in-line first-quarter earnings and better-than-expected revenue. The company earned $4.51 billion, or 44 cents a share, on revenue of $40.2 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected earnings of 44 cents a share and revenue of $39.8 billion. In the year-earlier quarter, the company earned $4.18 billion, or 40 cents a share, on revenue of $38 billion. Looking ahead, General Electric forecast second-quarter earnings of 52 cents to 54 cents a share, in line with the 53 cents a share that analysts project. Shares were up 27 cents to $35.45.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV