Thursday's Late Winners & Losers
Extended trading leaned to the negative side on Thursday thanks in part to a falling Apple (AAPL), which was one of the most heavily traded stocks after the bell on its announcement of a major product delay.
The California-based computer giant said its new Leopard operating system won't be released until October -- at least three months after it had originally planned -- as a consequence of diverting resources to ensuring the timely release of its iPhone product. Shares were recently sinking $2.39, or 2.6%, to $89.80.
Another highly active stock after hours was Dyax (DYAX), a biotech that catapulted 48% amidst positive late-phase preliminary results for DX-88, a proposed treatment for acute swelling and inflammation caused by hereditary angioedema. The study achieved all primary and secondary endpoints. Shares surged $1.92 to $5.92.
Meanwhile, North Carolina's Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD) slid 5% to $10.73 after posting a fiscal fourth-quarter loss of 39 cents a share on sales that dropped 8.2% to $112.2 million -- $11 million under the only analyst estimate from Thomson Financial.California-based Varian Medical Systems (VAR), which focuses on cancer therapies, sank 5.7% to $46.14 after estimating only a 7% sales rise in the second fiscal quarter from last year -- about $442.9 million, roughly $11.4 million below Street targets. Elsewhere, small-cap protective-garment maker Lakeland Industries (LAKE) saw a 6-cent per-share drop from last year to 24 cents in the quarter ended Jan. 31, scaring shares down 9.7% to $13 in recent after-hours action.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV