Energy Holdings With Juice
If you don't know much about dividends because you've been a growth-stock investor all your life, here's some math to help you understand why they're so cool. It's like a pre-algebra word problem:
- According to government statistics, the average person drives 12,200 miles a year in a vehicle that gets 21 miles to the gallon.
- According to energy industry statistics, the average price of a gallon of gasoline nationwide over the past year was $2.50.
- Divide 12,200 by 21, and you'll see the average person uses about 580 gallons of gas annually. Multiply that by $2.50, and you'll see the average person spends about $1,450 per year for gasoline.
- So how much money do you need to put into an investment that yields 6% per year to get $1,450 in annual income? I'll spare you the rest of the equations, but the answer is about $24,000.
Picking Up the SlackMLPs are an invention of mid-1980s federal tax policy designed to encourage investment in "midstream" energy assets. The companies in the sectors are primarily involved in the gathering, transportation and storage of crude oil, natural gas, coal and refined products, such as fuel oil and natural-gas liquids. They own the pipelines, storage tanks, terminals and tankers that move energy from the place where it is sucked out of the earth to the places where it is processed and used.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV