Energy Holdings With Juice
If you don't know much about dividends because you've been a growth-stock investor all your life, here's some math to help you understand why they're so cool. It's like a pre-algebra word problem:
- According to government statistics, the average person drives 12,200 miles a year in a vehicle that gets 21 miles to the gallon.
- According to energy industry statistics, the average price of a gallon of gasoline nationwide over the past year was $2.50.
- Divide 12,200 by 21, and you'll see the average person uses about 580 gallons of gas annually. Multiply that by $2.50, and you'll see the average person spends about $1,450 per year for gasoline.
- So how much money do you need to put into an investment that yields 6% per year to get $1,450 in annual income? I'll spare you the rest of the equations, but the answer is about $24,000.
Picking Up the SlackMLPs are an invention of mid-1980s federal tax policy designed to encourage investment in "midstream" energy assets. The companies in the sectors are primarily involved in the gathering, transportation and storage of crude oil, natural gas, coal and refined products, such as fuel oil and natural-gas liquids. They own the pipelines, storage tanks, terminals and tankers that move energy from the place where it is sucked out of the earth to the places where it is processed and used.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV