RIM Looks to Break Out
But the big questions for RIM-watchers will be whether the company can sustain that kind of growth -- and what that means to a stock that opens Wednesday's session a day after hitting a 52-week closing high of $148.31.
"Fundamentally, it has been a great story, and people are expecting a blowout quarter," says Matt Kelmon, portfolio manager for Kelmoore Investment, which has a position in RIM. "But it trades at a very high multiple -- about 35 times 2008 estimates -- so it is getting a little rich."
But fund managers have been
The stock's performance from here is likely to hinge on its guidance and any details the company offers about its upcoming product pipeline.RIM could ship the next product in its device family, the BlackBerry 8300, by June and a CDMA version of the Pearl as early as May, Walkley expects. "It's important to see if they can continue the momentum," says Kelmon. But for those investors getting increasingly concerned about valuation, he offers a suggestion: "I would be more likely to sell on any strength prior to or after the report and buy it again on a market correction."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV