Salesforce.com Unveils ContentExchange Software
Seeking to broaden its base of subscribers beyond sales and marketing types, Salesforce.com (CRM) is rolling out a new product it says will drastically improve the ability to find information on corporate networks.
The San Francisco-based company unveiled ContentExchange on Tuesday, a new addition to its portfolio of online business software.
By using many of the concepts popularized by Web 2.0 consumer sites, such as user-generated ratings and tags, Salesforce says it has developed a service that will make retrieving corporate data much more intuitive and efficient than the current system of files and folders.
"We are another step towards our vision of managing all information on demand," CEO Marc Benioff said in a statement.Salesforce said the technology for its new product comes from a small San Mateo, Calif., company called Koral, which it acquired for an undisclosed sum in March. Salesforce.com's traditional products allow a corporation's employees to quickly share and access "structured" data -- information that is already stored within giant databases. Those applications are typically geared toward things like customer service and sales, because the databases contain customer contact information, sales leads and so forth. The advantage of the new product, says Salesforce, is its ability to interconnect so-called unstructured content, anything from email messages to Powerpoint presentations. Employees can tag their documents with various labels, descriptions and ratings that make it easy for other workers to retrieve the information.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV