Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Fuwei Films (FFHL), which makes plastic films for packaging and other uses, soared more than 22% Thursday after the company posted $7.88 per-share 2006 earnings on sales that leapt 26.2% year over year to $55.9 million. Shares were rising $2.19 to $11.98.
Shares of Corcept Therapeutics (CORT) were leaping after the California-based biotech was accepted into the Nasdaq Capital Market, the exchange's small-cap index, in a switch from the Nasdaq Global Market. The change will effect at market open on Monday. Shares were up 19 cents, or 15.7%, to $1.40.
United Retail Group (URGI) posted a drop in adjusted fiscal fourth-quarter profits. The plus-sized apparel retailer earned $2 million, or 14 cents a share (excluding items), compared with a 20-cent per-share profit last year, but analysts polled by Thomson Financial were looking for 11 cents a share. The New Jersey-based company was gaining $1.14, or 9.6%, to $13.06.
Encorium Group (ENCO), which designs and manages clinical trials for biotechs, has signed around $4.7 million in new contracts in the first quarter through its European division. The Wayne, Pa., company now expects 2007 revenue to be at the upper end of its prior outlook range between $30 million and $34 million. Shares were bouncing 28 cents, or 8.3%, to $3.66.Heelys (HLYS), maker of children's hybrid sneaker-skates with removable wheels, rose on a Wachovia upgrade to outperform from market perform. The analyst cited high demand for the shoes and said the Texas-based company may top the Street's first-quarter income target of 18 cents a share. Heelys stock was adding $2.58, or 9.3%, to $30.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV