ETFs for the Lazy
The presence of the iShares Global Energy Fund is not to make a bet on energy per se. But without that fund, the portfolio would be severely underweight energy, and that's a sector I want modestly overweighted as a longer-term theme.
PHO, the water portfolio ETF, is a narrower bet on a specific outcome: that drinkable water is becoming more difficult for certain regions to access. It's definitely longer-term in nature, and should provide some slow, modest upside as this thesis gradually takes hold.
Most lazy portfolios I have seen include exposure to real estate. I chose international exposure here because the U.S. market seems more mature and staid -- and lately, volatile, which is the opposite of what you want in a lazy portfolio. Foreign exposure offers less yield, but I believe it offers more longer-term growth potential and an asset class that should not correlate to the U.S. market. By the way, this is a change of thought from when I wrote about this space
The portfolio includes gold exposure with DGL, as does every portfolio I manage. I own it in the belief that it will go up when bad things happen. It is a small but potentially volatile position whose primary role, the way I view it, is as a counter-strategy to equity holdings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV