ETFs for the Lazy
Here are the holdings and their weights:
- WisdomTree Total Earnings ETF (EXT): 20%
- Rydex S&P Small Cap 600 Pure Value (RZV): 10%
- WisdomTree Pacific Ex-Japan High-Yielding Equity Fund (DNH): 15%
- Claymore BNY BRIC ETF (EEB): 5%
- iShares S&P Global Energy Index Fund (IXC): 5%
- PowerShares Water Portfolio (PHO): 5%
- SPDR DJ Wilshire International Real Estate (RWX): 5%
- PowerShares DB Gold (DGL): 5%
- PowerShares Financial Preferred (PGF): 20%
- Advent Claymore Convertible Bond Fund (AVK): 5%
- Rydex CurrencyShares Australia (FXA): 5%
EXT fills the role of a "total U.S. market" fund in that it is a broad-based domestic fund, so it can be the core U.S.-based fund for a portfolio. The back-test on it covers almost five years, and in that time it beat the Russell 3000 by an average annualized 1.93%. The reason for that outperformance is that EXT, an earnings-based fund, does not tilt as heavily to value as the dividend funds.
Small-cap value over extremely long periods of time has been the best-performing "style box," which is why I chose a value fund for my lazy portfolio rather than something broader. RZV is very thinly traded, but its results stand up very well and any individual investor wanting a small-cap value product should take a look at this one.
I am not a fan of EAFE-based products; they are heavy in Western Europe and Japan. As I wrote
|Click here for larger image.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV