ETFs for the Lazy
If you read a lot about investing in the stock market, you know the term "lazy portfolio." Just like any other type of portfolio, the lazy portfolio has plusses and minuses. On the plus side, a well-constructed lazy portfolio can offer diversification and solid returns and allow for a decent night's sleep during times of market strife. The drawbacks include no realistic expectation of big winners and very little excitement (some folks do want action).
I've been inspired to create my own lazy portfolio, even though I'm not a big fan of this idea. (To follow it on Stockpickr,
That was a different twist on what most of the articles I've seen on the topic suggest: generally, three to five holdings, such as a cap-weighted total market fund, a foreign fund benchmarked to the MSCI EAFE Index and maybe a Vanguard REIT fund or a Vanguard bond fund.
I have tried to tweak the concept and add value using some of the new ETFs out there. Keep in mind that this is an academic exercise to explore how some new products could offer more utility than some of the old standbys. I haven't put it into practice, for myself or my clients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV