Cramer: Best Buy's Worth Waiting With
This column was originally published on RealMoney on April 4 at 9:11 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney, please click here.
The market may not instantly reward Best Buy (BBY) for what it's doing. Yet, it is clear that even when Best Buy is fighting a company that's fire-saling product -- Circuit City (CC) -- the profitability is still there for this great retailer. In fact, this quarter may be the benchmark for what a best-of-breed retailer can do.
I think that what will sift through the quarter is a little Pyrrhic. You can see plenty not to like.
But the only real takeaway is that this company has immense profitability in a most challenging environment of falling home values, a lack of people moving house and a vicious wounded competitor. It will take a long time for Circuit City to collapse, though, because it still has $4 per share in cash.Would I buy Best Buy here? Sure. Just don't expect much until Circuit City is finished blinking. But this BBY stock is beginning to remind me of J.C. Penney (JCP) when Federated (FD) decided to consolidate with May. You got a very big move before and during the collapse of the competitor. The same could be happening here without a problem. Random musings: I hope you enjoy tonight's "Mad Money" from Indiana University, which is a great school. My guest -- and IU alum -- Mark Cuban and I disagree on investing, could be some fireworks. Always is with Cuban.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV