The Brave New World of Portfolio Margining
This column was originally published on RealMoney
on April 4 at 12:15 p.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney,
It would probably not surprise most people that institutional investors or customers with more than $5 million in their trading accounts receive preferential treatment from their brokerage firms. One of the best benefits comes in the form of reduced margin requirements, or the amount of capital required to buy or sell equity-based financial products.
But it might surprise you that as of yesterday, these same lower margin requirements became available to most individual retail traders. Oh, your broker didn't tell you that your account is no longer bound by
While there are many details and some quite complex rules, the big difference is that strategy-based margining looks and charges each position as a separate entity. Portfolio margining, as the name suggests, looks at the entire portfolio, taking into consideration offsetting positions in calculating the charge of margin requirement.
Huge Reduction in Capital Required"This is one of the biggest fundamental changes to occur in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV