The Brave New World of Portfolio Margining
This column was originally published on RealMoney on April 4 at 12:15 p.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers. For more information about subscribing to RealMoney, please click here.
It would probably not surprise most people that institutional investors or customers with more than $5 million in their trading accounts receive preferential treatment from their brokerage firms. One of the best benefits comes in the form of reduced margin requirements, or the amount of capital required to buy or sell equity-based financial products.
But it might surprise you that as of yesterday, these same lower margin requirements became available to most individual retail traders. Oh, your broker didn't tell you that your account is no longer bound by strategy-based margin requirements and now qualifies for portfolio margining rules?
While there are many details and some quite complex rules, the big difference is that strategy-based margining looks and charges each position as a separate entity. Portfolio margining, as the name suggests, looks at the entire portfolio, taking into consideration offsetting positions in calculating the charge of margin requirement.
Huge Reduction in Capital Required"This is one of the biggest fundamental changes to occur in [the] brokerage business in years," says Randy Frederick, director of derivatives at Charles Schwab. He believes it will prove to be a huge benefit for those who incorporate options into their investing strategies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV