Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 2:24 p.m. EDT
Buckeye GP (BGH), which operates oil and gas pipelines, surged 7% Wednesday after a group led by ArcLight Capital and Kelso & Co. agreed to buy the Pennsylvania-based company's general partner and the 63% BGP stake currently held by the Carlyle Group, Riverstone Holdings and "certain members of management and other limited partners."
Chief Executive William Shea will probably resign after the deal closes, to be replaced by current Pacific Energy Partners Vice Chairman Forrest Wylie. BGP shares gained $1.43 to $21.86. Buckeye Partners (BPL), whose general partner BGP owns, was up 89 cents, or 1.8%, to $50.31.
Color Kinetics (CLRK) got a lift after Ford (F) licensed rights to use the Boston-based company's patented color-controllable lighting in its vehicles. Terms weren't disclosed. Color Kinetics shares rose $1.67, or 8.6%, to $21.11. Ford were adding 3 cents earlier in the day but closed down 4 cents to $8.04.Group 1 Automotive (GPI) climbed after a Prudential analyst began coverage on the Houston-based auto-dealership chain with an overweight rating, while stamping a favorable ranking on the entire auto sector. The analyst expressed reservations about U.S.-based car makers, but these currently compose only 30% of Group 1's sales mix. Shares added $1.20, or 2.9%, to $42.51. An analyst with Stifel Nicolaus said Photronics (PLAB) is poised to benefit from the chip-equipment sector's imminent technology-node transitions and upped the Brookfield, Conn., firm's rating to buy from hold. Shares closed up 36 cents, or 2.3%, to $15.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV