Utah Spring Skiing, Part 2
Just about everything at Snowbird reflects the flamboyant personality of its founder and owner, Texas billionaire Richard "Dick" Bass, the "large-mouth bass from Dall-as," as he calls himself. (At the ski tunnel's ribbon-cutting ceremony in December, the 77-year-old Bass belted out a Gilbert and Sullivan tune.)
"He's a character," Schaffer says, "a one-of-a-kind, a dreamer, a passionate, funny guy and a talker."
That's putting it mildly. A longtime mountain climber, Bass was the first person to ascend the tallest peaks on all seven continents, finishing at Mt. Everest in 1985. At one time, he held the world record as the oldest person to have climbed Everest.
Bass opened Snowbird in 1971 with the tram, three lifts and some lodging. In 1986, he opened Snowbird's flagship 10-story Cliff Lodge and Spa, a 511-room hotel and convention facility. Built to withstand earthquakes and avalanches, from the outside the tower actually looks like a concrete bunker, but its interior walls and floors are adorned in an amazing array of authentic Oriental rugs. The Snowbird village, including three nearby condominium complexes, has seven restaurants, three day lodges with cafeterias and numerous stores.Because just about everything at Snowbird is owned by Bass, the resort promises one-stop shopping for lodging, lift tickets and dining, along with discount packages during low season. Check
|Snowbird's Stunning Peaks|
|Photo: John Collins/Snowbird|
Enjoy the Good Life? Email us with what you'd like to see in future articles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV