Friday's Late Winners & Losers
Shares of Books-A-Million (BAMM) jumped after hours Friday as the Birmingham, Ala.-based bookstore chain posted a profit for the quarter ended Feb. 3. The company earned $15.1 million, or 90 cents a share, compared with 66 cents a share last year. Same-store sales were down 2.4% from last year, but total revenue jumped 8.4% year over year to $174.6 million. Shares were gaining 74 cents, or 5.2%, to $14.98, in recent extended trading.
Simclar (SIMC) climbed 15.5% after the Hialeah, Fla., small-cap earned $949,000, or 15 cents a share, in the fourth quarter, up from last year's profit of 3 cents a share. Sales soared 83.5% to $33.2 million from last year. Shares of the electronics maker were up 94 cents to $7.
Blue Holdings (BLUE), on the other hand, was sliding on disappointing year-end results. The Commerce, Calif., clothing maker lost $6.7 million in the fourth quarter compared with $1.3 million income last year, with full-year losses coming to $5.4 million, or 18 cents a share. The company blames the losses on accounting adjustments owing to larger changes in the market. Profits in 2005 had totaled $5.1 million, or 20 cents a share. Shares were sinking 15 cents, or 8.2%, to $1.69, in recent late trading.
Among other after-hours gainers, gold miner Crystallex International (KRY) was leaping 30 cents, or 8.1%, to $4; LED lighting-system maker Color Kinetics (CLRK) was adding 84 cents, or 4.3%, to $20.27; and United Auto Group (UAG) was up 58 cents, or 2.9%, to $20.88.Trading lower were YM Biosciences, (YMI) plunging 27 cents, or 13.9%, to $1.68; automation technology-products maker ABB, (ABB) down 66 cents, or 3.8%, to $16.52; and PennFed Financial, (PFSB) recently off 67 cents, or 3.1%, to $21.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV