Do Your Homework Before Going Overseas Part 2: Asia
Last week, we took a look at the fiscal health of European countries in search of stable ground on which to base an investment.
Today, we're moving across the globe to take the financial pulse of some of the Asian territories.
Now it's no guarantee that a nation that has its financial house in order will provide investors with security for their investments.
But with the level of global volatility in the markets in recent times, it is worth looking at which nations have played a conservative financial hand.Here we look at the state of a nation's public finances, government deficits and surpluses. Obviously one wants to look at various factors in combination with public finances -- for example, current account balances, GDP growth and inflationary pressures. Political stability and foreign exchange risks are other factors to consider but are outside the scope of the article. Again, we use the Group of Seven countries for comparison as they are generally perceived as the world's economic leaders, even if they're not the healthiest nations. Below is a table showing the G7 countries and their financial state along with other metrics.
|Fiscal Health of Group of Seven Nations|
|The Healthiest Asian Countries|
|Top-Rated Asian Funds|
|Name||Ticker||TheStreet.com Ratings||1 Month Return||3 Month Return||6 Month Return||YTD|
|iShares MSCI Singapore||EWS||A+||8.04||19.06||44.37||11.52|
|iShares MSCI Hong Kong||EWH||B||1.77||9.77||23.02||4.31|
|iShares MSCI South Korea||EWY||B-||8.19||4.73||14.54||4.01|
|Korea Equity Fund||KEF||C+||11||2.93||10.89||-1.22|
|iShares MSCI Taiwan||EWT||D||0.84||3.44||19.51||-0.28|
|Source: TheStreet.com Ratings, Bloomberg|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV