Friday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Updated from 12:56 p.m. EDT
Image Entertainment (DISK) soared 21.1% Friday after BTP Acquisition, a group lead by film financier and producer David Bergstein, agreed to buy the film distributor for $4.40 a share, a 27% premium to Thursday's closing price. The $132 million deal should close by July 31. Shares of the Chatsworth, Calif., company closed up 73 cents to $4.19.
Magma Design Automation (LAVA), a Mountain View, Calif., semiconductor, gained on word it had settled a patent-infringement suit brought by Synopsys (SNPS) for $12.5 million. Other terms weren't disclosed. Magma shares rose $1.74, or 17%, to $11.96. Synopsys was lately up 12 cents to $26.23.
Minnesota's Gander Mountain (GMTN) bested Wall Street estimates for the quarter ended Feb. 3. Income totaled $15.3 million, or 85 cents a share -- which, excluding a one-off 50-cent per-share charge, crushes the 97-cent consensus, according to Thomson Financial. Revenue, at $326.9 million, tops the $318.1 million consensus estimate. Shares of the outdoor-equipment retailer added $1.31, or 13.3%, to $11.16.Vivus (VVUS) will sell rights and assets related to EvaMist, its proposed spray treatment for menopause symptoms, to KV Pharma (KVA) for $10 million upfront, another $140 million on regulatory approval and up to $30 million in milestone payments depending on sales. California-based Vivus rose 40 cents, or 8.5%, to $5.13. KV class A shares closed off 23 cents to $24.73; its class B stock (KVB) fell 20 cents to $24.68.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV