Arruda says small businesses face two barriers to effective branding: They don't know what would make someone choose them over a competitor and they want to be all things to all people.
The antidote, says Arruda, is self-analysis and choosing a niche audience.
"Fear gets in the way," Arruda continues, for small businesses, which believe they will lose market share by focusing on a target audience. "They want to be all things to all people," he says, but, as we all know from our everyday lives, this is never possible.
Wowing the public with that pithy and powerful message can be easy and cheap, says Woodruff."Going to a big ad agency doesn't exist anymore as part of small business," says Woodruff. On the Internet, one can find branding resources that fit the smallest budget. In launching his company, Woodruff called on his graphic designer friends for logo help and he came up with his own tagline and blog, which was quite helpful in establishing his brand. A Web domain name costs around $20, and he established a site within hours without consulting a single major-league Web programming resource. Woodruff also recommends launching an email newsletter with an automated service. "I can get my name and brand in front of people every week
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV