Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Instituform Technologies (INSU) was plunging 22.8% on two pieces of news. The Chesterfield, Mo., construction company was downgraded to sell from hold by Stifel Nicolaus after predicting lower 2007 earnings year over year, citing a lack of growth in the general sewer-pipeline-rehabilitation market. The company will also take a $21 million pretax charge (or 48 cents a share after taxes) in order to exit the tunneling business, most of which will be incurred in the first half of the year. The liquidation value of all related assets is estimated at $20 million, at most. Shares slid $5.90 to $20.00.CuraGen (CRGN) tumbled on word Roche will buy its majority-owned unit 454 Life Sciences. The Branford, Conn., biotech will receive $140 million in cash and up to some $14.9 million in stock options, which pans out at roughly $85 million on a fully diluted basis. The deal should close in the second quarter. Shares were off 77 cents, or 20.1%, to $3.07.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV