Iran Tension Lifts Oil
Retail gasoline prices rose more than 25 cents in the Los Angeles metroplex after Exxon Mobil (XOM) announced that production was cut at its 150,000 barrel-per-day refinery there, further heightening concerns over gasoline inventories.
"Bullish inventory figures were the primary cause of this week's hike in energy prices, rather than the geopolitical issues that were in the news," Schenker said. As evidence of this, Schenker pointed to the difference between Thursday's $2.08 increase in crude prices -- spurred by inventory concerns -- and the smaller gain to end the week following the worries about Iran.
"Daily volatility isn't important when analyzing trends in energy futures markets," Schenker said. "Look at what happens over a number of days, rather than only focusing on what happens in one trading day."
Meanwhile, energy stocks were mostly stronger at the close of trading. The CBOE Oil Index was up 0.6% at 652.36. ConocoPhillips (COP) rose 0.9%, Chevron (CVX) traded 1.1% higher, and Exxon added 0.9%.Spectra Energy (SE) was upgraded by BMO Capital Markets to outperform from market perform, and its stock gained 1.5% higher to $25.58. Shares of Dominion Resources (DOM) were upgraded by A.G. Edwards to hold from sell, giving it a 7% lift to $25.82. Among downgrades, Trans Canada Pipelines (TRP) was cut by BMO Capital Markets to market perform from outperform, sending the stock down 0.8% at $33.53.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV