Soft TurboTax Sales Sink Intuit
Shares of Intuit (INTU) are taking a beating after the maker of tax-preparation software announced disappointing sales figures for TurboTax.
In recent trading Thursday, the stock was off $2.50 a share, or 8.3%, to $27.50 on heavy volume.
With about one-third of the tax season left, sales of Intuit's flagship TurboTax program are up just 1% year over year.
However, the company said it is sticking by its earlier guidance for the quarter and said it expects total TurboTax unit sales to grow by 3% to 5% when the season ends.The growth slump was apparently caused by tough comparisons to last year's strong showing, price increases and competition from HR Block (HRB) and privately held TaxAct, said CIBC analyst Scott Schneeberger, whose firm does not have an investment banking relationship with Intuit. Microsoft (MSFT) competes with Intuit's personal finance products such as Quicken. Although the analyst expects the company to deliver double-digit revenue growth during the tax season, weak volume makes upside to the company's guidance "unlikely," he wrote in a note to clients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV