Airbus Hopes Lift With A380
Wednesday's flight on the A380 was a contrarian's dream, because much of the aviation world is convinced that the jumbo-sized aircraft is doomed to failure.
Airbus will deliver the plane two years behind schedule. Research and development have consumed about $13 billion. Demand so far is limited to just 156 orders from 14 airlines. Not a single U.S. airline has placed an order.
Yet the reception at New York's Kennedy International Airport, where 200 passengers including 40 reporters took a one-and-a-half hour demonstration flight Wednesday, was positive, even gleeful. Vehicles driving on the airport perimeter sped up to keep pace. Airport workers took photos. Passengers marveled at the airplane's size, the quiet ride and the chance to be aboard a historic flight.
The A380 can carry 555 passengers, although individual carriers will make their own choices on seat numbers and amenities, such as lie-flat seats, bars and showers. It has 310 miles of wiring, 4 million parts and weighed 811,000 pounds at takeoff Wednesday."It's a remarkable airplane, a phenomenal feat of engineering," said passenger Rakesh Gangwal, co-founder of the Indian carrier Indigo and former CEO of US Airways (LCC). "You have a lot of skeptics today, because many minds have not yet fathomed how this plane will be used. "It's no different than cruise ships," he said. "When the bigger ships came out, nobody could fathom that you would have thousands of people on a cruise ship. But look at the cruise industry now."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV