Wednesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Telestone Technologies (TSTC) soared nearly 19% on impressive fourth-quarter results. The China-based wireless-communications company earned $1.6 million, or 19 cents a share, compared with year-ago profits of $1.4 million, or 17 cents a share. Revenue rose to $7.4 million from $5.5 million last year. Shares were gaining $1.45 to $9.14.
Apparel chain store Stein Mart (SMRT) said it earned $21.1 million, or 48 cents a share, for the quarter ended Feb. 3. This is flat year over year, even with an extra week that added on another 4 cents a share; but analysts polled by Thomson Financial were only looking for 41 cents a share.
Looking ahead, the Jacksonville, Fla., company expects next-quarter same-store sales to sustain a mid-single-digit increase, which would result in earnings of between 21 cents and 23 cents -- in line with two analysts' estimates. Shares were up $1.12, or 7.9%, to $15.24.
WSI Industries (WSCI) jumped after the Monticello, Minn., outfit doubled its per-share earnings for the quarter ended Feb. 25. The company, which sells metal components and services to aerospace and other industries, said it earned $155,000, or 6 cents a share, on sales that climbed 24% from last year to $4.4 million. Shares were rising 50 cents, or 14.8%, to $3.88.Golden Star Resources (GSS) got a lift after announcing it had begun mining a gold project in Ghana with a previously announced 219,500-ounce mineral reserve. Shares of the Littleton, Colo., company were climbing 22 cents, or 5.6%, to $4.16.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV