Countrywide Leads Insider Selling Spree
When the subprime mortgage collapse gathered speed two weeks ago, Eric Sieracki at Countrywide Financial (CFC) sought to calm his investors' nerves.
"This is the pain phase of a healthy cycle," the CFO said at an investment conference in San Francisco. "We've been through these kinds of cycles before and we've seen another day. ... We're a top-conditioned athlete."
Doubtless that's why his fellow executives and directors are throwing stock overboard on a heroic scale.
Insiders at Countrywide, the nation's largest mortgage lender, have sold $314 million worth of shares in the company just since August. That's according to regulatory filings tracked by Interactive Data Corporation.The sales include a staggering $94.5 million by chief executive Angelo Mozilo, and $17.5 million by mortgage division chief David Sambol. Naturally insiders are perfectly entitled to sell shares, and in the case of Countrywide Financial, the stock price has, at least, held up -- sort of. It's only fallen a fifth from its peak to $35.22. But it hardly makes you feel confident. It should be added that this is not something new. Insiders were also dumping stock heavily through 2004 and 2005. As they often have to exercise options before selling the stock, what they have pocketed will be less than $314 million. What's interesting is that the insiders at Countrywide are not alone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV