Friday's Winners & Losers: Manitowoc
Shares of OMI (OMM) were among the NYSE's winners Friday, jumping 14% after the operator of oil tankers said it is evaluating strategic alternatives.
The company said that its strategic alternatives include a sale, merger, or the continued execution of its operating plan. OMI has hired financial adviser Perella Weinberg Partners to help it with the process. Shares were trading up $3.17 to $26.10.
Manitowoc (MTW) rose 8% after the maker of heavy-lifting equipment boosted its 2007 profit forecast. The company now sees earnings of $4.20 to $4.30 a share, up from an earlier projection of $3.85 to $4 a share. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call project earnings of $4.02 a share. For the first quarter, Manitowoc expects earnings to exceed Wall Street's forecast by about 10%. Analysts currently project earnings of 79 cents a share.
"All three of our business segments are performing well, but the operating leverage that strong current and near-term industry conditions have created for our crane segment are driving truly exceptional performance," the company said. Shares were adding $4.73 to $60.20.Shares of AnnTaylor Stores (ANN) climbed 6% after the women's clothing retailer posted better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings. For the quarter ended Feb. 3, the company earned $21.5 million, or 31 cents a share, on revenue of $610.5 million. Analysts expected earnings of 29 cents a share and revenue of $610.8 million. During the year-earlier period, AnnTaylor earned $27.4 million, or 38 cents a share, on revenue of $574 million. For 2007, AnnTaylor forecast earnings of $2.15 to $2.25 a share, above analysts' projection earnings of $2.11. The company also said that it would repurchase up to $300 million in stock. Shares were up $2.03 to $37.70.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV