Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Transmeridian Exploration (TMY) surged Thursday after the Houston-based driller announced it's considering selling all or part of its primary oil field in Kazakhstan. The field represents "substantially all the assets of the company." Shares were up 55 cents, or 19%, to $3.45 in recent trading.
NationsHealth (NHRX) gained after the company swung to a fourth-quarter profit of $1.2 million, or 4 cents a share, from a loss of 67 cents a share last year. The only analyst's estimate called for a loss of 2 cents a share, according to Thomson Financial. The company, which sells IT services for medical-product distribution, said revenue dwindled 9% to $22.8 million, but this tops the $19.4 million estimate. Shares of the Florida-based company were gaining 15 cents, or 10.6%, to $1.57.
Peerless Systems (PRLS), which sells imaging and networking technologies, easily beat Street expectations for the quarter ended Jan. 31, posting profits of 9 cents a share, which is flat with last year. The analyst who follows the company called for income to fall 3 cents year over year. Revenue ebbed to $8.7 million from last year's $9.6 million, but this edges past the sole target by $400,000. Shares were climbing 32 cents, or 15.8%, to $2.34.
Shoe Carnival (SCVL) issued solid fiscal 2007 guidance that leans to the higher end of Wall Street expectations, projecting per-share profits of between $1.90 and $2. The Indiana-based footwear retailer also said it earned $5.1 million, or 37 cents a share, in the quarter ended Feb. 3, up from $3 million, or 22 cents a share, a year ago. Shares were up $2.99, or 10.2%, to $32.25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV