Rare Hospitality's Prospects Juicy
A couple of pieces of steak could add sizzle to your portfolio.
Now, I'm staying with the steak theme for my contrarian recommendation. Rare Hospitality (RARE), owner of LongHorn Steakhouse and The Capital Grille, offers investors the opportunity to get into a stock before everyone expects some upside to its numbers.
I like the steakhouse business for several reasons. According to research firm Technomic, the steak segment is growing at a 6% annual rate versus 5.1% for the overall restaurant industry.Steak can be a staple and an aspirational category. For some, eating a steak is as American as baseball and apple pie. For others, it's a meal to be enjoyed on special occasions. Rare's chains cater to both the casual steak eater and the more luxurious diner. LongHorn is an informal restaurant with an average guest check of $16.75, while The Capital Grille is more upscale, boasting an average bill of more than $67. Right now, Rare is appreciated on Wall Street about as much as an overcooked flank steak. Seven analysts rate it a buy against 10 holds. It didn't help that last month the company projected 2007 earnings per share of $1.62 to $1.68 -- well below analysts' forecast at the time of $1.81.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV