Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
Trading in New Century Financial (NEW) was halted Monday so the New York Stock Exchange could review the subprime lender's listing status. This pulled down others in the sector, such as Accredited Home Lenders (LEND), which lost a quarter of its value, falling $3.95 to $11.83 -- well under last week's $16.06 low point.
Countrywide Financial (CFC) lost ground as well, after predicting volatile near-term earnings due to current trends in the subprime sector. The firm said it shaved about 8% off its February subprime loan fundings from last year to $2.6 billion, which comes to roughly 7% of Countrywide's total mortgage loan fundings. Shares were losing $1.42, or 3.9%, to $34.68.
OceanFirst Financial (OCFC), a New Jersey-based savings bank, was also caught in the subprime landslide after announcing that its full-year 2006 earnings report, issued Jan. 18, didn't include a reserve for subprime-loan repurchasing in the event of early payment default. The bank will need to revise its numbers accordingly. Shares were down 90 cents, or 4.4%, to $19.70.InterContinental Exchange (ICE) was higher on word the commodities exchange will launch an electronic-trading platform for the New York Board of Trade in April. Shares were adding $2.26, or 1.7%, to $133.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV