Sony Builds PS3 Online Community
Shares of Sony were recently off 66 cents, or 1.3%, to $49.99.
Much like Second Life, Home users can create a customizable avatar and use it to explore the "public" and "private" spaces within the online community.
Each user is assigned an apartment in Home, a private space which they can invite friends to and personalize with furniture, art and other items. Inside their private spaces, Home allows users to show their personal videos, pictures, and other digital media content found on their PS3 hard drives.
Users can also launch multiplayer games from within Home itself and play against others online.Home also has the potential to bring digital revenue, because users can buy additional clothing for their avatars, furniture and decor for their online apartments, and even watch movies within the virtual world. Home could help Sony compete better with Xbox Live, the online game service from Microsoft, says Sebastian. Microsoft said Tuesday that more than 6 million gamers worldwide already connect to Xbox Live, four months ahead of the company's target. The interface for Home, which many analysts called "impressive," will help get users excited about the PS3, suggests Billy Pidgeon, an analyst with industry research firm IDC. "Sony needs the perception that something exciting is happening on the PS3," says Pidgeon. "And this could be another way to differentiate themselves." In itself, Home might not help Sony sell more PS3 consoles, says P J McNealy, an analyst with independent research firm American Technology Research. But the new service has made PS3 a lot more "sticky," he says. Sony plans to have game publishers such as Electronic Arts (ERTS) and THQ (THQI), as well as brands outside traditional gaming categories, participate in Home. "The possibility of online revenue for third party publishers just got a lot more real," says McNealy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV