EDS Back on Track
After several years of struggle, Electronic Data Systems (EDS) appears to have turned a corner.
Shares in the Plano, Texas-based IT services giant recently broke through peaks set a year ago, as investors are gaining confidence that the company has started to focus on clearing the way to further growth.
"The company has gotten through a number of problems, and they've gotten their house in order," says Standard & Poor's equity analyst Dylan Cathers. "They've finished restructuring, steadily increased their offshore capabilities, and their balance sheet is in shape."
EDS set a recent 52-week high last month following a meeting with analysts that sparked an upgrade by RBC Capital's Cynthia Houlton."Our rating change and higher price target reflect a shift by the company to growth for the first time since 2002," Houlton wrote. She raised her price target to $33 from $26. Her firm has provided EDS with nonsecurities services in the past 12 months. On Tuesday, EDS closed up 1.5% to $27.78 after pulling back nearly 7% from its 52-week high of $29.94. In its latest quarter, EDS beat the Street's forecast on the top and bottom lines and nearly doubled its profit over the comparable period in 2005. Signings hit $7.6 billion for the quarter vs. $5.3 billion in the same period last year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV