Tuesday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of Sykes Enterprises (SYKE) were among the technology sector's winners Tuesday, jumping 22% after the technical help and customer support company posted mixed fourth-quarter results but offered a strong first-quarter outlook.
The company earned $8.1 million, or 20 cents a share, on revenue of $158.6 million. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected higher earnings of 21 cents a share but lower revenue of $154.1 million. During the year-earlier period, the company earned $8.6 million, or 22 cents a share, on revenue of $128.8 million.
Looking ahead, Sykes sees first-quarter earnings of 23 cents to 25 cents a share on revenue of $163 million to $168 million. Analysts project earnings of 18 cents a share on revenue of $153.5 million. For all of 2007, the company sees earnings of 82 cents to 92 cents a share on revenue of $645 million to $675 million. Analysts project earnings of 84 cents a share on revenue of $632.2 million. Shares were trading up $3.43 to $19.25.
Microchip Technology (MCHP) rose 3% after the chipmaker said that fourth-quarter earnings and sales would be in line with Wall Street's forecasts. The company sees earnings of 33 cents a share on revenue that will be flat to up from third-quarter sales of $251 million. Analysts project earnings of 33 cents a share on revenue of $251.2 million. "Bookings and turns were unseasonably strong through February," the company said. Shares were trading up $1.02 to $36.46.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV