Monday's ETF Winners & Losers
The PowerShares Lux Nanotech (PXN) was one of few winners among exchange-traded funds during Monday's session. Holding Altair Nanotechnologies (ALTI) was surging 12.3% after AES Corp. (AES) said it bought nearly 900,000 shares of Altair. The ETF was higher by 12 cents, or 0.7%, to $16.97.
On the negative side, foreign-market-related ETFs were dropping as overseas markets were under pressure again. Earlier, Tokyo's Nikkei lost 2.3%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng slid 4%, and China's Shanghai and Shenzhen 300 slumped 1.3%. Other markets in Europe also lost ground.
The iShares MSCI Malaysia Index (EWM) was falling 5.6% to $9.10. The iShares FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index (FXI) was losing 2.7% to $92.54. The Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock (VWO) ETF was down 1.9% to $71.81Bundled securities following the energy sector were also among the worst performers. The front-month April contract for crude oil was recently falling by $1.84 to $59.80 a barrel. The iPath Goldman Sachs Crude Oil (OIL) ETF was recently shedding 3.1% to $36.36. The United States Oil (USO) ETF was giving back 3% to $49.46. The Oil Services HOLDRs (OIH) ETF slid 1.4% to $132.75. ETFs tracking metals and mining were also among the losers Monday. Gold was falling by $1.90 to $642.20 an ounce, and silver was giving back 16 cents to $12.80 an ounce. The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) was lower by 1.7% to $126.60. The streetTRACKS Gold Shares (GLD) ETF was shedding 0.5% to $63.38. The iShares Comex Gold Trust (IAU) was losing 0.5% to $63.37.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV