Feuerstein's Biotech Mailbag
Welcome back to the Biotech Mailbag, where I answer your questions and hold myself accountable to your scrutiny. I love getting mail, so please write me here.
Before I get to your mail, a lot of readers have requested a biotech event calendar. I put one together this week, so make sure you check it out here.
Jason from Seattle (Is he sleepless, too?) writes in about Dendreon (DNDN). "I see that they have priority review. The large short position could be a huge catalyst if we hear more positive news when the FDA panel meets to discuss Provenge. What has your research discovered about Dendreon?"
Dendreon is really shaping up to be one of the best biotech stories of the year. All of the elements are there: a first-in-class drug (in this case, Provenge, a cancer vaccine); a controversial clinical data package that includes a survival benefit, albeit one with some statistical noise around it; a looming FDA advisory panel meeting (now set for March 29); a stock at $4 that could rip or roll over depending on the outcome of that meeting; and as Jason notes, a big short interest -- 20 million shares on a 71-million-share float.The details of the Provenge story really deserve a separate column (or two or three), so I'll get cracking on that. I have followed the drug for a long time, so here's my quick take: The four-and-a-half-month survival benefit seen in advanced prostate cancer patients given the Provenge vaccine compared to placebo is intriguing, to say the least. There have been many efforts to debunk the data, without much luck.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV