Thursday's Financial Winners & Losers
Encore Capital (ECPG) plunged after per-share earnings in the fourth quarter fell to 28 cents from 32 cents a year ago, owing to 27% higher expenses year over year to $48.2 million. Profits topped Thomson Financial's 20-cents-a-share estimates, but shares were still down 75 cents, or 7.3%, to $9.50.
IndyMac Bancorp (NDE) slid after predicting that 2007 will be a "down year" for its bottom line, which in full-year 2006 was $4.82 a share. Analysts are seeking $4.32 a share for the coming year. Shares of the California-based bank were off $1.50, or 4.4%, to $32.83.
Alliance Bernstein (AB) fell after a clerical error related to class-action claims processing (on behalf of clients) deflated fourth-quarter profits by 21 cents a share -- a steeper amount than the 15-cent figure it estimated last month. The asset-management firm believes the charge "will ultimately be recovered from residual settlement proceeds and insurance," but shares were losing $2.61, or 3%, to $83.19.
Eaton Vance (EV) rose after a J.P. Morgan analyst upped the asset-management firm to neutral from underweight, pointing to robust fund sales and shareholder returns. Shares were adding 67 cents, or 1.9%, to $35.35.Sterling Financial's (STSA) rating was raised to accumulate from market perform by an analyst with Punk Ziegel. The Washington-based bank was trading up 89 cents, or 2.7%, to $33.78.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV