Audible Narrows Loss
Updated from 4:58 p.m. EST
Audible (ADBL) posted a loss for the fourth quarter, but it was less than the year earlier's and not as much as analysts had feared.
The audio entertainment company also bested the Street's forecast for its top line.
For the fourth quarter, Audible said Tuesday that it lost $700,000, or 3 cents a share, compared with a loss of $2.2 million, or 9 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.Analysts polled by Thomson First Call had anticipated a loss of 7 cents a share. Audible reported revenue of $23.3 million, rising from $18.3 million in the same quarter last year and beating the $21.9 million average analyst forecast. "The 4th quarter of 2006 delivered across-the-board improved financial results for Audible," Donald Katz, CEO and chairman of Audible, said in a statement. "We saw a strong seasonal sales lift during the quarter, as well as positive results from focused promotional merchandising efforts." Audible added 70,400 new "AudibleListener" members during the quarter, a boost of 13.3% over the same period last year. Sales from Apple's (AAPL) iTunes Music Store contributed 27% of consumer content revenue. Last year, Audible extended its exclusive deal with Apple until September 2010. Katz also said on a conference call that Apple's new iPhone will be Audible-ready when it debuts in June. During the quarter, 27 new Audible-ready digital media devices were added from companies such as iRiver and Garmin (GRMN), among others.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV