Tuesday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Syneron Medical (ELOS) was riding high after Procter & Gamble (PG) agreed to commercialize and distribute the Israeli company's skin-enhancement products for treatment of wrinkles, age spots and cellulite. The at-home products will be sold under the Procter & Gamble label, to be co-branded with the patented elos (electro-optical synergy) technology. Financial terms weren't disclosed. Syneron shares were rising $2.21, or 8.8%, to $27.23. Procter & Gamble shares were dipping 45 cents to $63.99.
Computer Task Group (CTGX) said its fourth-quarter profit ratcheted up to $1.1 million, or 6 cents a share, on revenue of $78 million that dipped slightly year over year. Last year the information-technology company, based in Buffalo, N.Y., earned $676,000, or 4 cents a share. Shares were up 26 cents, or 6.1%, to $4.53.
Tennessee's Astec Industries (ASTE), which makes equipment for road building, mining and recycling, said income from operations more than quintupled to $7 million in the fourth quarter. Net profit came to $6.3 million, or 29 cents a share, compared with last year's $1 million, or a nickel a share. The Street targeted 22 cents a share. Sales were up 20.6% to $162.2 million, topping two estimates' $157.2 million average. Shares were adding $2.30, or 6%, to $40.67.
Gambling-equipment maker Shuffle Master (SHFL) fell on disappointing preliminary results for the first fiscal quarter. The Las Vegas-based outfit expects earnings to be "significantly lower" than year-ago earnings -- which, on a non-GAAP basis, were $7.2 million, or 20 cents a share. Wall Street is looking for only a penny-a-share dip to 19 cents a share. Sales, meanwhile, should grow to roughly $35 million to $38 million; but this, too, would miss the $49.6 million consensus. Shares were losing $3.91, or 15.9%, to $20.68.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV