Wednesday's Early Winners & Losers
Versant (VSNT) shares jumped more than 11% in after-hours action Tuesday as the data-management software developer posted sharply higher earnings for the first fiscal quarter. The Fremont, Calif., small-cap reported $1.6 million, or 45 cents a share, in income from continuing operations, compared with last year's $789,000, or 23 cents a share. Sales reached $5.2 million, an 11% climb from a year ago. Shares were adding $1.89 to $18.60 in recent trading.
Deckers Outdoor (DECK), a footwear maker based in Goleta, Calif., was higher on a profit of $23.5 million, or $1.82 a share, in the fourth quarter (excluding a noncash pretax impairment charge estimated between $14 million and $16 million) on sales that surged 36.7% year over year to $124.4 million. Year-ago earnings were $12.1 million, or 94 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial had sought $1.31 a share on $110.7 million revenue.
Looking ahead, the company expects to see 15% growth in 2007 revenue and 5% income growth. That translates to $3.47 a share on $350.1 million, based on 2006 sales figures, which top the mean by 36 cents and $11 million, respectively. Shares were up $3.51, or 5.7%, to $64.96.
Human Genome Sciences (HGSI) rose on two pieces of good news. Fourth-quarter results were impressive, as the drugmaker narrowed its losses to $48.5 million, or 36 cents a share, compared with last year's downside of $69.5 million, or 53 cents a share. Analysts were expecting a loss of 44 cents a share. Revenue added 8% to $10 million, which was $2.3 million above consensus. The Rockville, Md., company also expects 2007 revenue to surge 50% year over year to $38.7 million, ahead of the $35.6 million targets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV