TheStreet.com Ratings: Top 10 Small-Cap Stocks
Each weekday, TheStreet.com Ratings compiles a list of the top 10 stocks in five categories -- fast-growth, all-around value, large-cap, mid-cap and small-cap -- and publishes these lists in the
This list, updated daily, is based on data from the close of the previous trading session. Today, we look at small-cap stocks. These are stocks of companies that have market capitalizations of between $50 million and $500 million that rank near the top of all stocks rated by our proprietary quantitative model, which looks at more than 62 factors.
In addition, the stocks must be followed by at least one financial analyst who posts estimates on the Institutional Brokers' Estimate System. The stocks are ordered by their potential to appreciate.
Up first today is Preferred Bank of Los Angeles (PFBC), which has 10 full-service branches focused on California's large Chinese-American population. The company's stock has earned a buy rating since December 2005. The stock should outperform the majority of stocks we rate on the basis of its steady EPS growth, positive increases in net income, compelling return on equity and solid stock performance.The stock is relatively more expensive than its peers. However, Preferred Bank shows no glaring weaknesses, and its strong financial performance justifies its higher price level.
Tessco Technologies (TESS) is a distributor of wireless products. It has been rated a buy since December 2004. Among the company's strengths are notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations, impressive stock-price performance and net income growth. Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, as the stock has been outpacing the S&P 500 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV