Thursday's Small-Cap Winners Losers
Hardinge (HDNG) was soaring some 17% after the Elmira, N.Y.-based maker of metal-processing machines reported drastically higher fourth-quarter profits of $6.2 million, or 71 cents a share, on $93.4 million in revenue. Year-ago earnings were $1.9 million, or 21 cents a share, on sales of $78.5 million. Shares were climbing $3.25 to $22.30.
Bruker BioSciences (BRKR) posted fourth-quarter income of $9.7 million, or 9 cents a share, compared with a nickel a share a year ago (which assumes Bruker acquired its optics unit in 2005 rather than in 2006). Revenue, by the same measure, spiked 27% to $135.6 million from last year. Three analysts were seeking income of 6 cents a share; two were looking for $125.3 million in revenue. The Billerica, Mass., company was up 94 cents, or 11.4%, to $9.21.
Business-software firm Emageon (EMAG) met Street earnings estimates for the fourth quarter, posting a profit of $3.1 million, or 14 cents a share (excluding acquisition costs), up from last year's loss of $3.7 million, or 18 cents as share. Revenue swelled by 36% to $33.5 million year over year, just under the $34.7 million estimate from Thomson Financial. Shares of the Birmingham, Ala., company were gaining $1.10, or 9.8%, to $12.38.
KSW (KSW) shares were rising on cheery preliminary fourth-quarter results. Excluding a one-off settlement gain a year ago, the Long Island City, N.Y., construction company said its per-share income probably surged 80% from last year to 18 cents. Sales likely grew 15% from a year ago to $19.6 million. Shares were up 33 cents, or 5.3%, to $6.53.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV